Liverpool Fc reach Championsleague Final

Beitrag von liverpudlian » 02.05.2007 00:17

Semi-finals - 01 May 2007 20:45 Anfield - Liverpool
Aggregate: 1 - 1 Liverpool (4 - 1) win on penalties

Liverpool 1 - 0 Chelsea
Agger 22

Liverpool players celebrate reaching another final

Penalty joy as Liverpool reach final

Pepe Reina saved two spot-kicks as Liverpool FC knocked English rivals Chelsea FC out of the UEFA Champions League 4-1 on penalties to reach a second final in three seasons on a dramatic night at Anfield.

Chelsea denied

Daniel Agger's first-half shot had taken the semi-final into extra time but with no further goals and the aggregate scores locked at 1-1, a shoot-out ensued in which Dirk Kuyt struck the decisive conversion. After Boudewijn Zenden had tucked away Liverpool's first attempt, Reina guessed right to save Arjen Robben's effort. The next penalties were scored by Xabi Alonso, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard before Geremi was outsmarted by Reina and Kuyt stroked in the clincher.

Electrifying

Anfield had basked under a cloudless sky and brilliant sunshine at kick-off, but as darkness fell and the temperature dropped so it rose to boiling point inside the famous old stadium which, as expected, was full of song and passion throughout. Visibly lifted by the crowd, Liverpool started brightly and had most of the early possession without making inroads until the place erupted in celebration in the 22nd minute.

Agger goal

Gerrard fooled everyone with a low free-kick from the corner of the box which Chelsea expected to be curled up towards Peter Crouch and the mass of bodies around him; instead the Liverpool captain squared it to Danish international defender Agger, who sidefooted the ball past Petr Čech with power and precision. The aggregate equaliser was greeted by near pandemonium and Chelsea struggled to get into the match until Didier Drogba gave Liverpool a scare when he beat the offside trap but not Reina, who blocked his shot from a promising position.

Essien chance

The Premiership title-holders had another decent opportunity to equalise five minutes before the interval, however. Drogba climbed well to nod Lampard's corner towards the Kop End goal, yet Michael Essien could not apply the finishing touch with his header and the ball bounced to safety past Reina's right-hand post.

Off the bar

Although it seemed impossible at the time, the tension increased after the break as both teams went in search of goals. Crouch thought he had done enough to score when he towered above Paulo Ferreira and Essien to meet Jermaine Pennant's cross but his downward header was kept out by the feet of Čech. Soon afterwards, Kuyt went even closer with a header that came back off the crossbar. With so much at stake, errors were commonplace and what the game lacked in fluidity, it more than made up for with intensity.

Carragher scare

Determined to fight back, Chelsea went within a whisker of levelling matters on the night when full-back Ashley Cole raided down the left in the 75th minute and cut the ball inside from the byline; Jamie Carragher, in an attempt to deny Drogba, connected from three metres out and saw his clearance skim over the top. As play and the psychological pendulum swung this way and that, Zenden brought another save from Čech, yet the clocked eventually ticked down to 90 without further score, prompting extra time.

Offside decision

Kuyt found the net in the first additional period but an offside flag ruled his effort out after he had followed up Čech's parry from substitute Alonso's stinging drive. Čech frustrated Kuyt again after the stretching Drogba was centimetres away from turning in Shaun Wright-Phillips's enticing centre. Tired minds and weary legs failed to conjure a match-winner, however, and penalties beckoned at the Anfield Road End. Here, Kuyt did get his winning goal and, for the seventh time in their history, Liverpool are through to the European Champion Clubs' Cup final. Chelsea, beaten at this stage for the third time since 2004, still await their first.

source:www.uefa.com

BildBildBild
liverpudlian

Beitrag von liverpudlian » 02.05.2007 00:20

Liverpool win 4-1 on penalties

Gerrard teed up Agger's opener
Liverpool booked their place in the Champions League final with a dramatic penalty shoot-out win in the semi-final second leg at Anfield.

Dirk Kuyt scored the crucial spot-kick to clinch a 4-1 win after Arjen Robben and Geremi had missed for the Blues.

Daniel Agger cancelled out Chelsea's first-leg lead in the first half with a crisp finish from Steven Gerrard's superbly disguised left-wing free-kick.

Kuyt also rattled the bar with a fine header after the break.

Chelsea's best chance saw Didier Droga denied by Pepe Reina and the big striker was also inches away from turning in Ashley Cole's cross after the break.

But Liverpool were good value for their win in a game that had plenty of excitement but lacked real quality.

Within seconds it became clear both teams were happy to go long. Liverpool looked to feed off Peter Crouch and Chelsea were eager to get the ball to Drogba and use the pace of Salomon Kalou on the break.

But after a promising opening first five minutes from the visitors, it was Liverpool who settled and started to get on top in a scrappy match.

And Liverpool scored from the first good chance of the night.

Joe Cole fouled Gerrard on the left flank and with everyone expecting the Reds skipper to whip in a cross towards the far post, he slid the ball across the box to Agger who slammed it home first time into the bottom corner.

With the scores level on aggregate, Liverpool stepped off the gas a little and Chelsea began to look lively.

Reina was forced into a decent save from Drogba, who stood firm to beat away the striker's fiercely struck shot following Mikel's through-ball.

Chelsea, playing in their third Champions League semi-final in four years, nearly went ahead just before the break when Essien almost diverted a Drogba header in from a Frank Lampard corner.

Liverpool then had three excellent chances to double their lead after the break.

Jermaine Pennant wriggled his way free on the right and crossed to Crouch but his downward far-post header was kicked away by Cech and John Terry completed the clearance.

And within five minutes Liverpool went even closer. A fantastic cross from John Arne Riise was met brilliantly by Kuyt but his header crashed back off the bar.

A rare Terry error then saw stand-in centre-half Essien bail out his skipper as he launched himself in front of Pennant and diverted the ball over for a corner.

Chelsea then pieced together their best move of the half.

Lampard combined with Joe Cole to put in Ashley Cole and Carragher got ahead of Drogba to turn the cross over the bar from three yards.

Minutes later, Drogba almost got through on goal but was thwarted by Reina and at the other end Bolo Zenden tested Cech with a decent 20-yard strike.

Neither side could force the crucial goal in normal time and chances were at a premium in the extra 30 minutes

Liverpool went closest when substitute Xabi Alonso unleashed a rasping 35-yard drive that Cech could only parry into the path of Kuyt, who turned the ball in before his strike was ruled offside.

In the second period Drogba almost converted Shaun Wright-Phillips' teasing cross and Kuyt had a shot beaten away by Cech in the closing moments.

It came down to a penalty shoot-out, and Liverpool romped home.

Bolo Zenden scored the first and only Lampard was successful for the Blues, meaning Kuyt's sweetly-struck effort was enough to secure Liverpool's place in the final against either AC Milan or Manchester United on 23 May.

PENALTY SHOOT-OUT
Zenden scored 1-0
Robben missed 1-0
Alonso scored 2-0
Lampard scored 2-1
Gerrard scored 3-1
Geremi missed 3-1
Kuyt scored 4-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Pennant (Alonso 78 ), Gerrard, Mascherano (Fowler 118), Zenden, Kuyt, Crouch (Bellamy 106).
Subs Not Used: Padelli, Arbeloa, Hyypia, Gonzalez.

Booked: Agger, Zenden.

Goals: Agger 22.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Essien, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Makelele (Geremi 118), Lampard, Joe Cole (Robben 98 ), Drogba, Kalou (Wright-Phillips 107).
Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz, Bridge, Diarra.

Booked: Ashley Cole.

Att: 42,554.

Ref: Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain).

source:www.bbc.co.uk/football
General
Beitrag von General » 02.05.2007 00:33

who the fu.ck is chelsea? we're singing who the fu.ck is chelsea? who the fu.ck is chelsea??? we're singing who the fu.ck is chelsea?

thanks to mourinho and his muppet show... :laola:
DocHoliday

Beitrag von DocHoliday » 02.05.2007 07:05

Well done, Liverpool. Have you ever seen a coach sitting cross-legged on the pitch during the penalties?
And Chelsea received a splendid whipping. Never mind the Ballacks! :lol:
GigantGohouri

Beitrag von GigantGohouri » 02.05.2007 09:11

Congratulations Liverpool! :disco: :laola: :disco:
Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan

Beitrag von Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan » 02.05.2007 12:59

Chelsea were quite frankly awful, Lerpwl deserved the victory no question at all.

Now for the Mancs to beat Milan (I'd never ever thought I'd want *them* to win :lol: )
derPochoX
Beitrag von derPochoX » 02.05.2007 14:31

Great goal from Agger !
oldparish

Beitrag von oldparish » 02.05.2007 14:38

Me, I couldn't give a rats hat.It's all Bull s**t fantasy football.I did watch the penalty shoot out though and I thought Lerpwl had snuck on 4 Germans.If United win there could be two Welshmen involved in the final that's almost as many as there will be Englishmen :wink: Just another thought,of the three "English" clubs in the semi-finals they are all owned by a foreigner,they are all managed by a foreigner(in football terms) and the majority of their players are foreign.What a great night it's going to be for English football in Athens on May 19 or whenever. :lol:
Steve

Beitrag von Steve » 02.05.2007 16:20

Word :wink:

But for the fans it does obviously not matter at all...

Fuc.kin' great. I love watchin' English football and especially seein' English fans explode after a goal is fantastic :lol:

Think they got a specific way to celebrate goals.

Love it ;)
Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan

Beitrag von Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan » 02.05.2007 16:25

Steve hat geschrieben:Word :wink:

Think they got a specific way to celebrate goals.

Love it ;)
It's called going absolutely f**king mental :lol:
berti mac

Beitrag von berti mac » 05.05.2007 09:09

Just another thought,of the three "English" clubs in the semi-finals they are all owned by a foreigner,they are all managed by a foreigner(in football terms) and the majority of their players are foreign.
hey, well up here the possibility of a liverpool v manchester united final was hyped as an "all-lancashire" final, in spite of the fact that liverpool and manchester have not bee in lancashire for 33 years.
and you forget that as well as the players, owners and coaches, most of the fans are foreigners as well!
i'm sorry, liverpudlian, i am sure you are delighted that your team are going to athens. but all that fawning over the anfield crowd etc just turned my stomach on tuesday night.
and mourinho was right, liverpool have only played for the champions league this year. i have seen liverpool twice in the league this year (v blackburn and v man city) and on both occasions they were very poor indeed.
so nerr nerr ne nerr nerr. :P :P
not that i'm bitter, but i think i will find a cave somewhere to hide in on may 19th :!:
berti mac

Beitrag von berti mac » 05.05.2007 10:37

writing as an english fan of borussia, of course i don't mind some foreign fans :lol: :lol:
oldparish

Beitrag von oldparish » 05.05.2007 13:32

The difference is Berti, no one can accuse you of being a glory hunter :wink:
Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan

Beitrag von Inselaffe-Borussia-Fan » 05.05.2007 14:30

So what if Borussia were bought by some foreigners, had a foreign manager (oooops we've good a useless one already) injected monies and brought suceess?

Would we complain then? Would we f....... :lol:
Manolo_BMG

Beitrag von Manolo_BMG » 05.05.2007 14:41

Congrats on another impressive CL win over ugly Chelski! :daumenhoch: Let's hope for another Milan & Berlusconi humiliation in Athens now... :P
oldparish

Beitrag von oldparish » 06.05.2007 14:51

Ins, using the premise that"if you can't beat them ,join them" then no I wouldn't complain.It would be stupid to do so but to me it's all so artificial.Just imagine what will happen to Chelsea if Roman decides he's had enough and goes off to put his billions into,I dunno,Weasel P**s Creek bob cats in the Alberta junior ice hockey league?Man.United,Liverpool and Borussia have built up the club over the years and created a club where everything was achieved through hard work and perseverence and with good people at the top(pehaps not too much of that applies to us right now,but you get my drift).Chelsea were about 10 minutes from going bust until Roman stepped in.In fact he wanted to buy Spurs but they weren't having any.Anyway his actions took away the level playing field for clubs like Borussia and Everton in England and made it about as level as that mountain that overlooks the Talbot Athletic Ground. :wink:
Jacinta

Beitrag von Jacinta » 06.05.2007 15:46

Hey, Liverpool is going to win the Champions League, I hope. :wink:
Steve

Beitrag von Steve » 08.05.2007 14:43

Hey, the Kop will move to Athens und kick Milan's asses ;)

At least I hope so :lol:
Steve

Beitrag von Steve » 08.05.2007 14:49

Celtic-Boy hat geschrieben: Let's hope for another Milan & Berlusconi humiliation in Athens now... :P
This time my suggestion for the final would be:
Milan takes the lead after only one minute.
2-0 in the 46th minute.
2-1 85'
2-2 90'
2-3 90'+5 by a 50 yard buzzer-beater :lol:

Guess Milan's hospitals would be overcrowded by heard attack-patients.

But that's a plot I'd like to see :lol:
Antworten