http://www.liverpool-gladbach.de.gg
Jonny
2008 LFC supporters Friendship visit to Gladbach - PRESS REL

Beitrag von Jonny » 14.05.2008 16:16

2008 Liverpool FC supporters Friendship visit to Moenchengladbach -
PRESS RELEASE

LIVERPOOL FC & BORUSSIA MG - EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT
LIVERPOOL FC & BORUSSIA MG - A VERY SPECIAL FRIENDSHIP

Once again, for the 2nd consecutive year the LFC supporters Friendship visit to see our friends from Moenchengladbach was an "outstanding success", stated LFC supporters Moenchengladbach Friendship trip organiser Graham Agg. There has been a very special friendship between the two clubs supporters since Borussia and Liverpool met in Borussia's glory days of the 70's. Liverpool played Borussia Moenchengladbach in the 1973 UEFA cup final triumphing 3-2 on aggregate and they also met in the 1977 European cup final in the eternal city of Rome, Liverpool again winning their first European cup 3-1. They were also to meet the following year in the 1978 European cup semi-final, again the Reds winning 4-2 on aggregate.

Since then there has been a continuous special friendship between the two sets of supporters.
Every year since 1992, the Borussia supporters have visited Anfield during the German Bundesliga winter break to support the Reds and it should also NEVER be forgotten that in 1991 a delegation of Borussia MG supporters flew to Liverpool to present the Hillsborough Families with a cheque for 21000 Deutsch Marks (approximately £8000) in the aftermath of the disaster.

The 2008 LFC supporters Friendship visit fortunately coincided with a massive Borussia promotion party in the City Centre of Moenchengladbach after Borussia's immediate promotion back to the top flight of German football after the previous seasons relegation. An estimated crowd of 95000 people crammed into the centre of Moenchengladbach to welcome the promoted Borussia team, amongst them 50 Liverpool supporters who went to Gladbach on their annual Friendship visit.

The friendship visited also included a stadium tour, a meeting with ex-Liverpool player Christian Ziege, now Sports Director at Borussia MG, also there was an all-day LFC/BMG Fan party and an appearance for a number of LFC supporters on the Borussia Park pitch just 20 minutes before Borussia's last home match of the 2007/2008 season versus SC Freiburg.
Friendship trip organser Graham Agg was interviewed on the pitch and conveyed in German to the 54000 capacity attendance how proud the Liverpool supporters are of a 30 year plus friendship with the Gladbach supporters. The Liverpool supporters then unveiled a specially commissioned "Friendship flag" that they proceeded to show to the entire 4 sides of the impressive Borussia Park. The amazing Gladbach supporters responded by singing a faultless version of "You'll never walk alone" and chanting "Liverpool, Liverpool" to their Liverpool friends.
The LFC fans also handed out during the weekend, special "Friendship" badges to their Borussia Moenchengladbach counterparts with the words "two clubs, one family" inscribed on them.

The 2008 Friendship visit was also fully endorsed by Liverpool Football Club who presented the supporters before departure with a signed photograph of Liverpool captain and esteemed England international footballer Steven Gerrard to present to the official Borussia Moenchengladbach supporters club.

Graham Agg also said he wished to thank all the Borussia supporters and the citizens of the City of Moenchengladbach for their friendliness and hospitality during their stay, and congratulate Borussia's on their promotion to the German Bundesliga top flight. Particular thanks go to Borussia MG fan liaision officer Thomas "Tower" Weinmann and Thomas "Jonny" Polcher and from the Borussia MG Fan-Projekt, and also Liverpool supporters Pat Link and Gary Johnston who also helped to organise the Friendship weekend.

Agg also stated that he would "like to thank all Liverpool supporters in Gladbach for being superb ambassadors for Liverpool Football Club and the City of Liverpool and that Liverpool FC and Borussia MG supporters share a friendship that is very seldom seen in world football".

LIVERPOOL FC & BORUSSIA MG - EINE GANZ BESONDERE FREUNDSCHAFT
LIVERPOOL FC & BORUSSIA MG - A VERY SPECIAL FRIENDSHIP
berti mac

Beitrag von berti mac » 14.05.2008 23:27

it was great to meet up with so many on sunday. a big thanks to graham and everyone concerned with the friendship visit.
many on here know: i don't care too much for liverpool, a bit too Red for my liking :lol: :lol: , but good to hear you'll never walk alone sung so enthusiastically
a great weekend, great party, great atmosphere.
only the team let us down, and i don't really mind that too much.

Cheers!
Manolo_BMG

Beitrag von Manolo_BMG » 14.05.2008 23:55

@ Jonny

Thanx for the nice report! :daumenhoch: Do you have some pics & clips, too? :anbet:
oldparish

Beitrag von oldparish » 15.05.2008 10:15

berti I completely agree with you.I found the whole weekend incredible except for the result.I think it took the team (apart from the wunderkind) until half an hour from the end to realize there was a game to play.I think we can forgive them this once after the season they have given us.It was all about the Aufstiegs feier and Freiburg still have that to play for so maybe it meant a little more to them.Just want to say hanks to everyone that made the week end so memorable and to the team congratulations for bringing the club back where we belong.
Jonny
Beitrag von Jonny » 15.05.2008 18:26

Celtic-Boy hat geschrieben:@ Jonny

Thanx for the nice report! :daumenhoch: Do you have some pics & clips, too? :anbet:
Hi,
No Time at moment, i hope on Saturday ....

Cheers Jonny
Manolo_BMG

Beitrag von Manolo_BMG » 18.05.2008 17:50

Thanx for the nice report, pics & clips, Jonny! :daumenhoch:
Antworten